Tuesday 19 May 2009

My Aerialscapes at Ruthin Craft Centre

Aerialscapes- detail

I am showcasing my textile art pieces at An Eye for the Detail at the Ruthin Craft Centre . Curated by Gregory Parsons, the show takes a closer look at contemporary applied arts in interiors as well and also presents each artist's design process. The exhibition is being staged in the beautiful Gallery 3 of the Craft Centre. I am lucky to be showing work alongside such established names as Ptolemy Mann, Emma Jeffs, Eleanor Pritchard, Kate Blee, Shin Azumi - people who's work I greatly admire.


Inspired by aerial photography of fields, the piece I am showing is a study of texture and colour. I have used resist dyeing, embroidery and needle punching on silk panels to create surfaces . I really enjoyed the whole process: painting and drawing the concept to scale, thinking about the colours, textures, agonizing over size of stitches, thickness of needles and then spending what seemed like endless days making it. However, it's been so worth it. On the preview night, seeing the piece hanging in the gallery was pure joy!


The show will be on till 14th June 2009.


Venue: Ruthin Craft Centre

The Centre for the Applied Arts

Park Road, Ruthin,

Denbighshire, LL15 1BB



No comments: